Litchdon Patient Participation Group, Barnstaple Devon

Latest Meeting Minutes

These are the minutes of the latest meeting. Previous meeting minutes can be viewed here.

PPG Minutes 24.10.17
Dermatology Clinic Building Litchdon Medical Centre 6.30 pm

Present Public: Rosie Haworth Booth (Minutes), Micky Squire (Deputy Chair) Cathy Chick, David Trueman, Ralph Brown, David Adams
Surgery: Sharon Bates (Chair), Hannah Doidge, Dr. Sally Hunt
Guest speaker: Julie Hatch from Fremington
Apologies: Mair Manuel, Sue Matthews, Michael Latcham

Minutes of last meeting agreed.
Matters arising: Dementia friendly work ongoing with signage, switches etc and visiting support worker.
DA suggested that it would help doctors if the patient online-appointment-booking-in screen could allow for additional comments to be added by patients after making their initial appointment, as their symptoms/problems could evolve between booking and seeing their GP.
Waiting room screen – now as slow as possible. It may be helpful to put links on the practice website to items mentioned on the screen, so patients can follow up, or a sticker next to the screen to say that the helpdesk can provide more information on any specific item.
Mobility Aids waste - Rosie reported back (item 7 on agenda). A letter was sent to the CCG who provided a response stating their position linked with DCC on this - e-mailed with these minutes as a pdf. Meanwhile Cathy Chick has provided press cuttings from a Scottish Borders paper reporting on how local authorities there deal with waste which appears to be more environmentally aware and financially more efficient than Devon’s. External Website Link External Website Link

The last PSN meeting at South Molton 5 October did not provide any further feedback. Sue Matthews also provided information regarding Milbrook who have the contract for collection/ recycling of aids from DCC and the CCG SEE Link ACTION Rosie to continue to press for updates on strategy regarding re-cycling with the PSN.

Julie Hatch Fremington Wellbeing Club (FWC)
Julie had asked to attend Litchdon PPG to spread the word about Wellbeing Clubs. She said there is a need to reach isolated people who would normally not be attracted to the idea of going out to ‘clubs’ . FWC encourage patients to take care of themselves.
- JH says there is a need to interact with the isolated/lonely. They don’t attend events for fear of criticism, exclusion or because of disabilities. If people don’t come along to the Medical Practice you don’t see what they need. But if the practice calls someone in for legitimate reasons, e.g. Diabetes, this can be a lead- in. The focus of the ‘club’ can be changed for each event and if a person comes to one the chances are they will come to the next. One such focus has been home safety checks with the lead Safety Officer for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service in attendance. At one event many commented on being lonely.
- Need to provide refreshments (NOT Cake!). People will chat to each other while waiting to see a podiatrist etc., Many are frightened ( of e.g. death, living, home maintenance, being ill, taken into care, recognizing need for a different home but not knowing how to go about it.).
- It’s possible to do a big combined well-being event – it would be familiar to those who have already taken part elsewhere. Venue would be a public space like a church hall.
- Event should be run by the PPG with Practice manager there to collate contact details of attendees. A GP should also be in attendance.
Melanie Cullen is Fremington’s Practice Manager- her observations might be sought on procedure.
Events included guest speakers like:
Tom Lewis – microbiology consultant – on urinary issues, Bladder and Bowel service.
361 Energy volunteer rep Tara Bowers - will visit patients’ homes and check for best fuel tariff and help patients away from pre-paid-card meters.
DrinkWise/AgeWell rep Tracy Watts - does a LiveWise/AgeWell presentation (focus shifted away from potentially confrontational issue of drinking)
Nurse Specialists with special gift for interaction [*but when they have ‘interacted’ what happens next?]. People need to be told they can stay in their own homes. Local pharmacies are now beginning to engage.
Adaptacar motability [The Motability Scheme enables disabled people in the United Kingdom to become mobile by leasing a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair through their Government funded mobility allowance; It is also possible for their families and their carers to lease a vehicle as well.
Motability also raises funds and provides financial help to Scheme customers who would be unable to afford the mobility solution they need.]
RNIB [Julie has a hotline to them]
Rod Teasdale, co-ordinator, Red Cross
Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Sharon Bates noted that Shopmobility and Go North Devon could be useful contributors with advice on easy parking and accessibility.
David Truman noted that Tavistock GP Practice have CAB advisors in the Surgery. It was also noted that a marriage guidance councillor as a fully paid up member of the practice team has been cost-effective.
Sally Hunt noted that some of these issues need to be taken out of the surgery – ‘de-medicalised’. There is a need to help those who are isolated and need guidance on access to services but maybe the PPGs across Barnstaple should liaise over this.

Julie noted that the Barnstaple Patients Alliance annual event if linked to a medical practice may help patients to feel more comfortable coming along. The next Fremington group will be on 10 January 2018 and we are welcome to attend. She suggests the ‘medical’ string attached will encourage people to go along but if it is just a ‘club’ event they won’t bother.

David Trueman thinks there is EU money to target the isolated. Petroc college and students could be involved and college could supply transport. They also have professional bid-writers.
Isolated patients’ problems could slide into mental health issues. Information about events could be spread word of mouth from GP to patient. Important to get young involved. E.g. young mothers. Messages could also go out via surgery clinics e.g. diabetes clinic.
David Adams asked about attendance. Julie said there were 20 at first meeting
Following Julie’s presentation the group felt that there was no appetite to take this forward by the Litchdon PPG at this time. However, we may look at a joint venture with other Bple PPGs in the future.

Practice Update: Sharon
1. Net increase in patient numbers by 500 since March 2017.
2. Boutport practice closure and changes at Queens Medical Centre have impacted on no. of patients transferring to Litchdon.
3.New GP, Will Carlino, starts as permanent part time member (3 days per week) of staff from 4 October. WC has previously been attached to the practice as a trainee.
4. There are additional receptionist hours in place from October.
5. There are extra nurse and HCA hours for the treatment room from November
6. There is a nurse associate trainee place in the surgery now, with the second student on a two week placement in early October.
7. Green Impact Award: Litchdon will be going for the Gold award in May 2018 having already achieved Bronze and Silver.
8. Flu Clinic: 1,300 patients seen on 1st Saturday and 750 on the 2nd . More patients are treated in normal surgery hours now. Thanks to Micky Squire for his help on Day 1; Rosie who came in to talk to patients about Care Closer to Home and SOHS; 361 Energy, and Fire Safety officers, who came in to talk to patients about advice on bills and energy saving, and on home fire safety checks respectively.

Social Prescribing Update: Hannah
1. Dietician Clinic: run monthly at Litchdon by Lindsey Cook, dietitian from NDDH. Lindsey can accept patient referrals from GPs, nurses and district nurses, for patients who require or are already on nutritional supplements. Lindsey can see patients by appointment: face-to-face in her clinic at the surgery, or at home if patient is house bound.
2. Dementia Support Services Clinic: a monthly clinic run by Pat Diango, Support worker, Alzheimer’s Society. She can see anyone who is either diagnosed with Dementia, or is a friend/carer/family member of a person with Dementia who needs support, help and guidance after the initial diagnosis of the disease.
3. North Devon Dementia Carer’s Group: Litchdon now holds this monthly group which is solely for people who care for a person with Dementia. This allows the group to share their own experiences, ideas and problems they have found whilst caring for their loved ones.
4. Student counsellor: this is a new weekly clinic which starts on 10 Nov., every Friday. Sophie, who is a level 4 student from Petroc, needs to complete 100 hours of face-to-face counselling to complete her course. Sophie will be able to see patients referred to her by the practice who need support for depression/low mood/ anxiety linked to a life change/problem such as bereavement, divorce, grief, general feelings of being stuck and general unhappiness.
5. Working with Drink Wise/Age Well: Hannah is working with a resilience worker from DW/AW to look at setting up some free classes/sessions for patients, to help with their wellbeing, such as yoga/art classes. HD has put the idea to GPs and Nurses to see if they can identify a need for their patients.

David Trueman – best way of getting info out to patients - send out e-mails
Cathy Chick- community psychiatric nurses – what has happened to them?
Sharon says there are community psychiatric nurses as part of the Devon Partnership Trust (DPT) but they have not been directly linked to GP practices now for many years.
There is the website PINPOINT a directory of all voluntary services. External Website Link

361Energy Fuel Poverty feedback:
20-30 visits have been booked as a result of 361’s presence at the flu clinic. And phone nos. given for follow up calls. Suggested that Pat Diango is linked up with 361Energy – HD will pass on details.